Monday, January 5, 2009

Murphy's Law


Because there's a wedding, because it's mine and because it's this week, this law of "anything that can go wrong, will" definitely has played a huge part. Let's start from the top shall we? ( You might want to grab some popcorn, tissues, or go to the bathroom before you read this, depending on your mood) It's September and Brigham has asked me to marry him. I of course, said yes and the hell began. I swore not to be a Bridezilla, but alas, one who tells themselves not to become something usually does. I couldn't decide what invites i wanted and was so nervous to create my own. Finally i broke down and ordered the once I designed and they turned out great, but i was more than three weeks behind schedule. I sent out most as fast as i could and i told myself that the ones i didn't get too, i would try to get to as soon as possible. Well, its a week before the wedding and i still have some to send out. Next, with all the excitement of getting married comes the responsibility of figuring out how to do that. " We need to set a time at the Temple" says my mom. Well i call and they need my recommend number. Oops...so that Sunday I go to see the Bishop. Great. Bishop recommend done...Stake presidents out of town. OK wait one more week then. Next Sunday....Stake president has broke his back and won't be here for interviews. GREAT! Counselor to Stake President calls and conforms it A-OK to give me interview. Sweet, i now have my recommend needed to set the time for our sealing. Cancel that, Temple is closed for two weeks for cleaning. Date reopening: January 6th. That's five days before I'm supposed to get married. Luckily for me, no other Procrastinating Bride can get a time either. In order to get married you also need a marriage license. OK...not a problem,. Give them some blood, sign a paper. Oh, there's no more blood tests..nice. Oh wait....we have to do it in person with the groom to be?? The groom who is in Idaho and won't be here until three days before our wedding? WHAT? you need government issued photo ids?? Brigham says this is not a problem..Courtney says that a week before she moved back to California she had her car broken into and her wallet with all her ID stolen. (insert tears..like the flood of moses size tears) Call DMV and in the hoity toitiest of voices i hear "Oh we don't do picture ID receipts and it takes up to 60 days to get your license in the mail." (insert emotional breakdown) Mom to the rescue- calls Kern County Clerks office and they will take my school id. Brigham can't find it. Call LDSBC for replacement. "We don't keep those photos on hand" (insert blank stare) "Look in your car" says the groom to be. The car that i decided had enough gas to make it to the gas station before i had to babysit. Mom to the rescue AGAIN! So now i sit here, contemplating how to get a picture ID or how to forge some type of government issued Photograph. I don't recall knowing anyone in the black market business, but I'm seriously thinking about calling people who might. Also wondering how long my mom is going to take this before she comes to the breaking point of just telling her unorganized irresponsible daughter to figure it out myself and then having to tell Brigham that we can't even elope because I DON'T HAVE IDENTIFICATION!!!! (Insert tear streaked, emotionally exhausted Bridezilla) Hopefully i will get married on Saturday, PRAY i can get married on Saturday. And no, seriously...if you know someone who can get me a Government Issued Photo ID...just let me know ASAP! Thanks (insert pleading and begging for some type of help from soemone above)

12 comments:

Dean and Maryellen said...

I don't know what to say. Only I will be praying for you.

Heather said...

Courtney! Hi, I just came across your blog. Don't worry, everything will work out and you will get married! There is a liquor store here in Santa Maria where the illegal aliens get fake IDs so they can get jobs...they've fooled my bosses plenty of times. If you need any more info on where its at, I'll try to find out!

Amy Coontz said...

I am so sorry!! It will all work out. I don't think you need id in Vegas! But I don't know if the temple there does elopements (is that a word?)

Urmston Family said...

Yikes. I am so sorry, what ever we can do please let us know. If this helps I'm all set for making bread this Friday for the reception, which is going to be amazing from what you have told me. Hang in there all will work out.

Jennie said...

Oh Courtney! I am sitting here laughing bacause it brings back way too vivid memories of "all that could have gone wrong that did" during the week of my wedding! BUT-- it will all work out, your day will be great, and sometime in the future (sometime being a long time, as I still get upset about somethings that happened that lovely day 6 years ago) you will look back on this and laugh realizing that it really didn't matter what everyting looked like, what food there was to eat, what everyone wore, etc. because you got married to the love of your life. and think of the great stories you'll be able to tell your daughter when she is going through the same thing! So, good luck and a BIG hug. You'll survive! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

stephani said...

ohhhh Court. I feel ya. I had so many things go wrong! I collapsed and couldn't walk the morning of our wedding! It is just the curse of being a bride! And I just wanted it to all be planned by me..I pretty much did everything. My mom mostly supervised. So Im really sorry about how you're feeling. Ill tell you what helped me: SERIOUS MASSAGE day before the wedding! It relaxed me big time. You may have a million things to do, but you have to take at least an hour for yourself! Do it! I love ya..see ya!

Jessica said...

Courtney, sorry for all the mishaps. It will all work out. Wish we could be there. Love you and miss you.
The Ivins Gang

M said...

oh no! i'm sure everything will work out. i'll pray for you :)

Zach and Stacie said...

Court. This is pretty crazy, but when there is a will, there is a way. Do you have your high school ID? It might work or you can pressure LDSBC. They definitely still have the picture. They have to keep some record of you, right? I can pick it up if they do it. Love you. Wish I could do more, but I will be there Friday.

Shelly said...

Courtney and Brig, I am congratulating you in advance... I'm sure that everything will work out somehow! Wish we could be there... Please post lots of pictures!

JOY said...

CONGRATS COURTNEY and Brigham!

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness Courtney!! I can't even believe you went through all of that! I'm glad it all worked out though!!:)